What types of writers hire a consultant?
People who benefit most from working with a writing consultant tend to fall into three main categories:
- Those who have hit a wall with their current writing project or strategy.
- Those who have an idea for a new writing project and would like focused, professional assistance in developing. their thoughts into a book proposal, outline or long-term writing plan.
- Those who generally want to improve particular writing skills specific to their genre or field.
Every consultation session is unique, because they are adjusted to the goals of each individual. However, here are some overarching objectives that inform my work:
- I start with where each client is at. You may have a nearly finished manuscript and just need a few pointers, or you may be totally stalled in your writing career and have no idea what you want or need to move forward. My guarantee is that we'll get the juices flowing early in the consultation process, and then start working together on whatever needs to be done.
- I look at the big picture, particularly for clients who've hit a wall in their work. I want to know about your topic and argument, but I also want to know about your work process and lifestyle. In my experience, "writer's block" is not a monolithic phenomenon. It usually has a multi-stranded cause that often has less to do with writing itself than with the logistical, intellectual and psychological challenges of creative work more broadly. Once we determine some of those causes, we can start tugging on the one that is simplest and easiest to adjust. Get ready to watch your writer's block unravel!
- Sessions culminate in achieving a tangible but realistic goal developed with the client in an initial consultation. At the end of the consultation process, you get to take home a product—whether it's well-crafted book outline, chapter draft, writing plan or something else we come up to together.
- There will be writing. Writing consulting = writing + consulting. The consultation process integrates one-on-one sessions with reading or editing the client's writing. This way, clients have the chance to directly apply ideas from our conversations to their writing, and receive the benefit of immediate feedback.
All rates are determined on a project-by-project basis. Contact me for a free consultation!